Sunday, July 7, 2013

Playing with Gesso

Alexandra's Diary
Alexandra's Mask

The current PTI MIM challenge is to make custom paint with Gesso & reinkers.  I knew immediately I wanted to use my paint with a stencil as I've been inspired by Alexandra's use of them.  You can find one example in this post & here are just a couple pictures of her project--click to enlarge the pictures. 
I've actually bought several stencils lately & found the one I used today in the bottom of a drawer.  I mixed some Gesso with a Marvy Pale Violet reinker & got this lovely soft shade.  I used a piece of watercolor paper & brushed it over the stencil that has very small squares.  In places where it was heavily applied it made little mounds which I then spread with a brush.  I actually liked the effect this created for a background.  I stamped PTI Background Basics: Text Style in black that had been stamped off & then softened it more by adding Gesso randomly with my finger.  Next I stamped an image from PTI Turning a New Leaf in Fresh Snow.  It's very subtle, but effective in person.  PTI Lovely Layers dies were cut in felt, attached together & to a small Martha Stewart doily.  The sentiment from PTI Lovely Leaves & the focal image were attached to the background piece which is attached to a vellum panel & then to the card front.  I added a single pearl as the only embellishment.  I'm also entering the current challenge at A Passion For Papertrey since Alexandra's use of stencils inspired me.  I'm really glad you stopped by & hope you have a great week.

13 comments:

  1. OH, I love your "artsy" creation, Greta! What a wonderful take on the Make It Monday challenge...FABULOUS background! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness Greta. This is awesome. I got a chicken wire stencil on my Friday spending spree, so will have to try this technique. Your background is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! so beautiful Greta love your creation. have a great week!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Love the soft layers and colors of your background. I just ordered some gesso and modeling paste and can't wait to play around with some HA stencils.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a lovely card! I love your mix of colours and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Greta
    The Bg is to die for, I will have to pop over and pay Alexandra a visit,even though I have made Bg like this, there is always room for improvement. Brilliant card G.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your stenciling is gorgeous and I like the felt flower. This is a beautiful
    card!



    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely card, greta... the stenciled background is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greta, you have just made my week!!!
    Thank You so much and boy oh boy do i love your card!
    Good Luck my Friend!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well look at you branching out and getting all fancy artsy!!beautiful work Greta!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greta - you've again added brightness to my day with this lovely card! Stencils - haven't used them (yet) and with what you've done here...off to add to my ever-expanding wish "book". Beautiful card; definitely a winner!!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just lovely, Greta. Looks like you've been having lots of fun getting messy lately!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a fun artsy background you created Greta, very nicely done with the added flower!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to stop by. If your blog address is in your profile or comment, I will visit you.