Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Playing with Gelatos

I've been having fun playing with my Gelatos lately.  The colors are so gorgeous!  So far it's been backgrounds, but I'm building up my courage to paint an image with them next.  For the first card I painted the colors onto watercolor paper, added some Gesso over a homemade "mask" & stamped a background by coloring directly on the stamp with the Gelatos.  More details in Flickr HERE.  The newest card started by scribbling the Gelatos onto a piece of wc paper, but I wasn't able to blend them with my wet paintbrush like Alexandra did HERE (may need different paper), so I added more color & rubbed them with my finger--Love that it easily washes off.  After it dried I stamped the tulip image from Penny Black delicate florals set twice with the idea of having it frame my sentiment.  I decided the sentiment (an old PB stamp) would be better stamped on vellum.  It has been quite awhile since I added embossing powder to my panel, so sprinkled Stampendous! shabby white in 2 corners & heated it in my craft electric skillet until it was stuck enough not to blow with the heat gun.  I like the interest it adds--what do you think?  The card front is hard to see, but has PB diamond pattern stamped in Brilliance Platinum Planet & is really pretty in person.  The corner die cuts are pieces of Spellbinders Lacy Square.  Another card for my biggest fan, my sister.  Since I used a floral stamp, I'm also entering the current Stampendous! challenge.  Our rainy weather hasn't dampened the activity of the goldfinches at all & I was able to get a picture of one pair.  I've had up to 3 pairs at a time--so fun to watch.  Hope you have something lovely in your life today.  Thanks for stopping by.




16 comments:

  1. Very pretty Greta! I really like how delicate the trees look on the first card. Love the photo of the birds, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those goldfinches don't care what the weather is like, do they? So cute!

    Love both cards, Greta! Good for you playing with some mixed media products! I love how both cards turned out! I've been trying out some things lately too but nothing I dare show anyone just yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Greta
    You have made two cards that relate different feelings to the on-looker, the first is very masculine, warming up the earthy palette with your Bg hue.
    The second is far more whimsical and lifts the spirits, such a happy card.
    Great work on both designs.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like both cards. The news print and the colors of the first card are really elegant and I like the flowers in the second card. I have never heard of gelatos but the backgrounds you have made are really pretty!

    Your photo of the goldfinches remind me that I need to plant some sunflowers soon. The only time I see goldfinches here is when they are hanging upside down eating the seeds from my sunflowers and it is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH Greta! These are beautiful! Yeah!!
    Thank YOu ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what beautiful work Greta. I had trouble getting my Gelatos to blend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blending of the gelatos with great colours mix, Greta! Hmmm.. my preference would be the first card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! I have some Gelatos that I have never used before. Gotta try it after seeing your pretty card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't get pictures of any of our bird visitors! I think I must make too much noise (possibly the cat & dog entourage is a problem as well? lol)
    These cards are both lovely - I must admit to a particular fondness for the second. Those girly colours, and the texture of the shabby EP...just fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two beautiful cards, Greta! Love the soft, vintage look of the first card, and the beautiful sparkle and colors in the second one. A tip I learned for using the Shabby EP is to heat it a bit with the heat gun from the back, and then heat the front. I would have never thought about using an electric skillet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely cards, Greta1 You're so inspiring with your willingness to try new techniques and products. Your sister will absolutely love her card - thoughtful and heart-warming!
    We're having rainy weather, too...wait, just looked out the window - it's snowing. Sighhh...spring in Alberta doesn't usually happen until June! Oh well, off to see the niece and nephew tomorrow, so that brightens the day immensely! Have a great Thursday!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those hungry finches are so cute! Gorgeous cards! Especially love the colors and the shimmer of the second one! Hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love seeing how you used the gelatos! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never tried the Gelatos, but after seeing this, I'm tempted! Both are beautiful, Greta! Love the picture with the goldfinches! They're such pretty birds and I keep hoping to attract some here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for entering our Fabulous Floral's Challenge! We're so excited to have you play along! Hope to see you in more challenges!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to stop by. If your blog address is in your profile or comment, I will visit you.